For patients who experience moderate tooth decay, a dental inlay or onlay may be the best treatment option. Inlays and onlays fit into the crevices of the tooth to effectively repair damage or decay and support the natural tooth structure.
Dr. Haddad will always aim to save a natural tooth before opting for a tooth extraction. Early diagnosis and preventive dental care can help catch cavities in the earliest stages for a chance at effective and conservative treatment.
Family dentist, Dr. Haddad, encourages all patients to visit our Oxnard, CA dentist office at least twice a year. Preventative dental care is the best way to avoid the development of tooth caries. However, even our most diligent brushers can still develop tooth decay. Cavities are the most common dental health concern.
When treated early, tooth decay can be managed and repaired. Left untreated, tooth decay can result in tooth loss, receding gums, and even gum disease. The progression of decay and the location determine the most effective treatment for tooth decay. Inlays & onlays are ideal for patients with moderately advanced tooth decay.
Benefits of Inlays and Onlays
- Mercury Free
- Tooth-colored for aesthetic results
- Helps support tooth structure
- Prevents further decay in the area
Our welcoming and warm dental care team work to make every patient feel at home by explaining procedures and guiding them through their treatment. For patients with severe dental anxiety, sedation dentistry can help patients feel completely relaxed during treatment.
Dr. Haddad offers sedation dentistry options to help patients cope with their fear of the dentist. Many patients avoid visiting the dentist for preventive care due to dental anxiety. Missing routine dental checkups can allow dental concerns to progress.
Inlays & Onlays: What to Expect
In the case of moderate tooth decay, Dr. Haddad may recommend an inlay or onlay. The dentist removes the decayed area using a special scraping tool. Dr. Haddad then thoroughly cleans the area. We design and color-match the inlay or onlay to the natural tooth. Once fabricated, the inlay or onlay adheres to the tooth for a permanent and durable bond.
- Inlay- A dental inlay is a high-quality professional-grade resin. The inlay is custom-designed to fit inside the cusp of the infected tooth. The inlay permanently adheres to the tooth for a natural-looking and lasting dental restoration.
- Onlay- A dental onlay is custom-designed from professional-grade ceramic resin and is used to cover an area of decay on the face of the tooth. An onlay is like a partial dental crown. For patients with moderate dental decay but not enough to require a dental crown, an onlay can be an excellent dental treatment option.